My desire to be physically healthy
and get fit the soonest possible time drove me to make a drastic decision to go
somewhere quite far and in one of my Go-To places before the end of 2012 --
Caramoan Peninsula!
Yes, I am on leave for 3 weeks
because of my very bad health condition, after being hospitalized for 1 week
were I almost died so I said to myself I need some fresh air, away from the
city, a stress free environment where everything is slow paced..after 2 days of
To-Go or Not-To-Go alone thinking I went to Caramoan on backpack adventure with
a limited budget!
Prior to making a decision I did my research by
asking google on how-to get to Caramoan the cheapest way possible. I found a
couple of helpful sites that gave me different options such as travel by plane
but that's quite expensive, another one would be through PNR Bicol express.
I was really hoping to
experience PNR going to Bicol but upon calling them rep said that provincial
tour is currently on hold. My last option now was to travel by bus going to
Naga. So there I was Day 0, I headed straight to LRT 2 going to Araneta Center
Terminal for the evening trip...I managed to get a ticket of RSL bus for P900,
It was only later that I realized that I bought the expensive one.. That would
have saved me P200 in my goal to get to Caramoan on a shoe string budget.
The bus left manila
around 8:53PM and arrived in Naga City past
6 AM. Day 1 of my escapade I headed straight to Naga Terminal station to get to
Sabang, I almost got lost when the bus driver suggested that I ride another bus
going to Sabang, according to him there's no bus going straight to Sabang so I
have to go to a different route..but my instinct tells me otherwise so while
they were still waiting for passengers I checked the Office app in my Lumia
phone and good thing I keep records of the information I learned online.. I
immediately step out of the bus and walked going to SM Naga since the terminal
is just in front of the mall. I knew that the information I gathered online
were accurate when I saw the Van with a Sabang signage at the terminal and the
fee cost me P100 which is the same info I got online.
If you're thinking that it's gonna
be a shorter travel this time compared to the 12 hours from Manila to Naga..
Yes! 2 hours to be exact.. My dilemma here was I've been sitting for more than
10 hours prior so imagine the pain of my butt muscles that I had to endure to
get to Sabang.
The van left Naga past 7 AM, it was
a 2 hour drive going to Sabang so by past 9 I was already on board the boat
that will bring me to Guijalo port.. That's another ride BTW, this time boat
ride from Sabang Port going to Guijalo Port.
Another dilemma that I wasn't
expecting when I reached Sabang Port was the incompetency of Globe's Network.
Locals I was traveling with on the van said that the only network in the area
that is consistently working is Sun and Smart. Guess what I'm using a microsim
from Globe, where do you expect me to see a store on this island selling a
Smart Microsim! I didn't know how to tell my contact that "kuya nasa
bangka na ako papuntang Guijalo port, naka suot ako white tshirt mag Isa lang
ako.."
I could have texted him ahead of time had I known that Globe's
network in Caramoan is inefficient.
"1 ride na lang at nasa
Caramoan na ako at wala akong Signal sa phone ko para sabihan si
Kuya"..Thank You Globe!
Good thing my contact was known by
almost everyone on the port, one of the pedicab drivers approached me and asked
if I am with someone..told him I'm alone and waiting for Kuya Ramil, when he
mentioned kuya's last name I told him my dilemma. He offered to bring me to
kuya's place using his single (that's how the locals call their motorcycle,
probably because it's just really for a single passenger..not sure here..lol) I
asked him how much, he said kuya will talk to me about it. So I agreed.. I paid
200, should be 150 or 100 but I gave him a tip for his kindness.
I finally reached Caramoan Peninsula
and the common observation of the online bloggers who have been to that
province is it's slow-paced lifestyle. I didn't stay at the Centro, they call
the main city Centro, it was a 20-30 minutes travel time by single motor going
to Kuya's place. I always have an option
not to stay in kuya's place when I saw the hostels and resort in the main city
or Centro but I opted not to because that's another expense going from and to
if you will be coming from the City. The tricycle will cost you 300, while the
Single will cost you 100. Whereas, if you will be coming near by the bay it's
just walking distance. Big savings!
Next to the lifestyle of the people
is the room where I will stay, it's actually quite better compared to the last
pictures I saw online. The room has its own fully tiles restroom and the
bedroom is decent with fan and beddings. kuya Ramil just had the room recently renovated.
More than enough accommodation for the price of P200. I finally met the famous
Kuya Ramil and his family. They live a very simple life, he is a husband, a
father, and a fisherman, thanks to a backpacker that created a blog about his
act of kindness and generosity to those who wanted to explore Caramoan without
spending much and the filming of Survivor Reality TV show, they are getting the
help that they need to survive and live a descent life without going to the
over-populated and over-crowded Manila.
The very first thing I did upon
arriving at Kuya Ramil's place was to unpack my stuff and charge my digi-cam,
Ipad and phone.. I need the digi cam fully charged for my Island Hopping. Very
eager to visit the Caramoan islands around 1 PM I told him we can start the
Island hopping.. I told kuya that I'm on a tight budget so I will just go for
the P1500, he offered the P3000 for all the Islands but I insisted that I'm
really on a tight budget, that would have been a good deal if my family is with
me but the situation does not allow me to go for the 3k, and the probability of
not having a budget for my fare going to manila is high so I said to I'll go
for the 3K on my next visit I promise.. Kuya was kind enough to understand.
My tour guide for the Island hopping
was Kuya Sonny and another old man but he wasn't talking that much so I never had the chance
to catch his name..
I don't recall all the names of the
4 Islands we visited but only 2 inked in my memory: Lahus and the Hunungan
islands. Let me explain why I don't recall all names. It must be the medicines
that were injected while I was admitted but my forgetfulness is happening more
often after my hospitalization, sure I have an on going issue in not
remembering people's names but while I was at the Island I had 3 instances that
I bothered Kuya Ramil and his family Big Time that it literally tested the
testament of the bloggers towards the family.
2. So they gave me another key, I
told them to get duplicate keys as a precaution..I did not misplaced the 2nd
key but I left the key inside the room were both windows and door locked! As
soon as I realized that I turned all red and very embarrassed knowing that the
room was just renovated recently so we had to resort to different ways to
unlock the door without destroying the door nor the window.. Good thing Kuya
managed to remove a portion of the wood covering of their glass window without
breaking the glass itself.. They didn't want that breaking thing but that was
my last option even if that would mean I will pay them extra.. He didn't want
that option btw. LOL. Imagine my embarrassment because of my stupidity! LoL
3. I forgot to pay them the room
rental.. Instead of paying P1,700 I only paid 1,500. I only realized that when
I asked him to drop by the 300 years old St Michael Church. I immediately
handed over the P500 and told him kuya sabi ko sau may problema ako sa
retention.. And then he laughed..
4. Lastly, it was my literally first rocky mountain climbing experience, when I reached the rocky top of the cliff I got this feeling like I'M-ON-TOP-OF-WORLD and I'M-THE-KING-OF-THE-WORLD THING. It was breathtaking. Unimaginable feeling. Caution though, as much as I enjoyed climbing the rocky cliff it was a challenge for me in going down because of the lack of the right gears, shirts to wear and some safety precaution equipments so I don't recommend that you do it unless you are trained. I was just very lucky to have kuya Sonny as my tour guide because aside from guiding me in going up and down every step of the way he is also a good motivator. And he admitted not all guides will tell their tourist about the lagoon because of safety reasons. I remember while we were on our way down one of the tourist who saw me climbing the top of the big rock formations followed my lead.. The girl was like having a hard time climbing up though persistent, while the BF was yelling at her, demanding ding her to stop whatever she's planning to do.. kuya was like worried and I was worried as well so we were telling her be careful because the rocks are edgy and pointy, she might get wounded in just 1 wrong move..
That was the last island so I asked kuya if we can stay for a while I want to swim and play around on the golden white colored sand, I felt like a 10 year old kid while dipping on the not so deep part of the ocean and writing some words on the sand and taking pictures of them before the wave washes it off..
I would say that my 1 day
travel going to the islands was worth it
because of the many firsts in my lists but it would have been MORE FUN IN THE
PHILIPPINES for me to personally experience the other islands and other places
in Caramoan.
It's Fun for me!
I promise the MORE-FUN will happen
sometime next year and I will bring with me my loved ones.
| Kuya Ramil. For Inquiry you may text or call him here: 09074351962, tell him you were referred by Brian =) |
Thank You Caramoan!
I love Cam-Sur!
Tips:
1. Rent a place near the Bay so you
won't have to travel back and forth and waste your precious time. That's extra
savings as well if you are on a tight budget. There are cottages like Breeze
and Freeze I think with complete room amenities or if you are a back pack traveller
or by group and wants to save money I'll recommend my contact Kuya Ramil. He is
highly recommended, if you read my blog you will understand why I am giving him
my recommendation
.
2. For back pack travelers, bring
your packed lunch para makatipid, masarap mag lunch sa island.. Palo na pag
camping..
ako nagrent ng place at d na ako
bumili amenities ko and nag ordinary ako in going to Naga I think doable sya..
hmm let's see here are my expenses:
No comments:
Post a Comment